Saturday, December 19, 2020

Banjara Boy + Herd, Virat Nagar, Rajasthan, India, 2020

 

My time in India just before and after the outbreak of COVID was filled with contrasts. While preventing me from making the portraits normally made, in many ways it forced me to choose a different path. One of these paths happened to be this forest adjacent to a Banjara community. 

Normally my friend Nami would drop me off on the side of the road, and kindly wait while I walked around and photographed the landscape. On this morning I was walking around and just happened to come across this young shepherd. Normally this community is very difficult to photograph, but the fact that it was just the two of us allowed the photography to flourish.

Over the span of an hour we walked around, and with a smile he permitted me to photograph him and his herd. The fact that we did so in this incredible space was that much more meaningful to me. 

Note: this image was printed in the darkroom on 11x14 fiber paper, then toned in Selenium.

No comments:

Post a Comment