Sunday, January 8, 2017

Cami + Taylor, El Mirage Dry Lake Bed, California, 2016


A few months ago a casting call was placed for dancers in Los Angeles, and the initial response was wonderful. More than a few dancers responded, and it seemed that the week would be insufficient with respect to the number of responses.

My past experiences have taught me however that very few have the composure to maintain the vision. These two young ladies had more than enough composure, and proved this to me during our session. Cami was the person responding to the casting call, but Taylor stepped forward as her friend in order to help with the session. In the end they supported each other beautifully, and were as selfless as friends could be.

In my mind they are sisters to the girls in my work, from the ballerinas in Cuba to the migrants in Lebanon to the refugees in India. They asked for nothing in return other than to be included in this portfolio, and gave everything for the sake of the collaboration. They reserved an entire day for the session, since the drive to and back took almost five hours.

When one was being photographed, the other supported from a distance. They exchanged ideas continuously, and helped each other change when such help was needed. Never did either one of them ask when the session would end, or when we would go back. They were and are selfless in my mind, and I for one look forward to my next visit to Los Angeles!



Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180 mm combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment