Friday, January 6, 2017

Anays y Arturo, Santa Maria del Mar, Cuba, 2015

My time on the island has been filled with much joy and some heartache, but these two have been the source of the former more times than my mind can remember. They inspire me through their dedication to each other, their love of each other and their kindness towards me. A few years after my collaboration began with Anays Diz Pe, her brother Arturo honored me with the request to be photographed. It was quite the experience to photography brother and sister, especially when the sister had been photographed for seven years by that time. She had developed into the most talented person in front of the lens, so talented that my camera had to catch up to her when we collaborated! To see Anays direct Arturo was something else... truly captivating. She was so gentle, and was clearly overjoyed to be photographed alongside her brother. The love was deeply evident from both sides. It was clear to me that this was a moment all treasured, including me with my camera. When someone asks me about Cuba, my preference is to speak about the people, about these two beautiful spirits for example. For me countries mean very little, boundaries mean nothing. It is the people, and only the people.


Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180 mm combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment