Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Magnificent One + 3 Frames, Racquetball Court, Santa Maria del Mar, Cuba, 2015


Today the scanning continued, the perfect task on this cold Spring day. It was like reliving last summer on the island, and these three images caught me by surprise.

While I remembered her making these gestures, their juxtaposition on this roll of film took my breath away and gave me even more inspiration to beginprinting multiple negatives at the same time.

Providing the young dancers an entire roll to express themselves has always seemed natural to me, even though only single frames have ever been printed in the darkroom. By showing multiple frames, the conversation will hopefully expand allowing a fuller expression of movements.

This young woman, a true inspiration in my work, was able to show more than her traditional dance training has provided her. She is something else, always coming up with new ways to express her imagination. It should be of little surprise to those familiar with her talents.

Earlier this afternoon my dear friend Tomcommented on an image with multiple frames, pulling me closer to this method with his insightful words. I look forward to ordering some 16 x 20 paper, and to getting back into the darkroom!


Note: This series was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180 mm lens combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment