Monday, November 16, 2015

Young Girl, La Habana, Cuba, Summer of 2014


One day we were visiting one of our families in La Habana when this young girl came walking down the stairs, excusing herself as she walked down. While people on the island are quite generous and kind, for a child her age to do so in a most natural way caught my attention. She remained in my mind as we walked upstairs to speak with our family, and I described her to my friends.

Immediately they smiled and knew about whom I was talking, and told me that they would ask her parents for permission to be photographed. Her parents agreed and she joined us upstairs for a short session on the rooftop. Her mannerisms were beyond incredible, she had her way about her... and was truly an individual at such a tender age.

My friend's mother took it upon herself to help her get ready for the photography, took care of her hair and so on. When it was time for her to get in front of the camera, she was such the natural... absolutely perfect! The sun mattered little to her, and she was enamored with the camera. This image was from our first year together, and hopefully this coming summer we will reunite for another series of sessions!


Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180 mm combination onto Fuji Neopan Acros 100 ISO film with natural light only.

No comments:

Post a Comment