Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Refugee Camp + Bulb, Uttar Pradesh, India, November, 2013


Life is unimaginably hard in these camps, protected from the cold outside only by a thin plastic sheet at times. When the sun disappears in the late afternoon, the only source of light is this single bulb. I imagine being five years old and looking around me in this land, haunted by the violence thrown upon me and my family just a few months earlier. The thought is almost impossible to possess for someone living in my shoes. Nonetheless I owe it to the people in my images to attempt to imagine their plight, and to share it with those outside of this region.

The refugees in this camp are refugees from the recent violence in Uttar Pradesh. They have fled their villages in search of calmer environments, and have been provided land by these villages in order to put the broken pieces of their lives back together again as well as can be done.

Through these images I hope the message is communicated to the outside world.

www.halimina.org

Note: Image was made with a hand-held Sony RX100M2, edited for size only here.

No comments:

Post a Comment