Friday, May 25, 2018

Mother + Daughter, Rama, Nicaragua, December of 2017


45 years after we lost our home to an earthquake I returned to my birthplace of Nicaragua. The experience of walking in the footsteps of my parents cannot be described fully, for my mind still needs to process the events of last December.

One thing is for sure, the people of Nicaragua treated me like a prince, like one of their own. Thanks to my cousins Victor and Carlos, it felt just like home. Their homes were my homes, their hospitality was as generous as any in my travels. Certainly this was a reflection of our culture, of their respect for my parents... but it was so much more, and I may begin to understand more so when we meet once again this December.

Then there were those we met on the road, such as this family on our way to the Caribbean coast of Nicaragua. We never did reach the coast, but this neighborhood of Rama was as perfect as we could have imagined. The people were so generous with their kindness, and allowed us to have a morning session which resulted in this portrait.

These beautiful people work hard day in and day out, and their lives are anything but easy. Their entire neighborhood was built on the outskirts of the town without planning nor distribution of basic services from the municipal government. Yet they endure and do their best for the sake of their children.

I look forward to returning in December and going deeper into my family's history, as well as the relationships formed during my first visit in over 4 decades.



Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 503 CW/100 mm C lens combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment