Sunday, September 10, 2017

Young Syrian + Home, Zahle, Lebanon, 2017


During my last visit to her camp over seven years ago she was yet to be born, and the circumstances in the region were very much different. Her community was made up mostly of migrants working in Lebanon in order to support their families back home in Syria.

Since then much has changed, and her homeland lay in ruins. Her camp is a mix of migrants and refugees, and the most dangerous elements from the wars in the region have even made their way into the camps doting the landscape around her. This is the environment in which she lives, and from which this portrait was taken just this past week.

Her camp happens to be where my photography was born over 20 years ago, and where my photography was reborn last month after a seven year absence. To say that my mind was filled with hesitation before this trip would be an understatement. Yet making my way to her camp just seemed right, regardless of the risks involved.

In the end the camps embraced me as they had done two decades ago, and have given me the confidence to return next year. For this portrait her family invited me into their home to photograph her youngest sister. While that portrait was never made due to her sister's shyness, hers was more than easy to make for she is anything but shy!


Website
Note: This image was made with a Sony RX100M3.

No comments:

Post a Comment