Friday, May 13, 2016

Nathy + Tree, Guanabacoa, Cuba, Summer of 2015


Just a few minutes ago her mother sent this message to me: 'Nathy te espera para continuer este hermoso trabajo.'

When people ask me about Cuba, my words sometimes fail to demonstrate the true heart behind the people. The images are shown in beautiful galleries, the videos projected onto large screens. It has become clear to me that people need to visit a place to fully understand it, and even then it takes decades.

It has taken me a decade to begin to understand both Cuba and India, the keyword being 'begin.' Then it is times like this afternoon when a young woman reaches out to me via Facebook and makes it all so clear.

This young girl and her parents understand my work, and see it as their own. She expects to continue the beautiful work, she is the second half of this collaboration.

Of course she is much more than that to me, she IS the work.

People ask me all of the time, 'how do you get these images?' The answer is simple, it all starts with the people which, in this instance, is one of the most perfect ballerinas my eyes have yet to witness.

Talking about lenses, shutter speeds, aperture and film speed are all fine… but are well beneath the subject in front of the lens. When that subject is as Nathy presents, all else is rudimentary.

I look forward to Nathy and her beautiful parents this summer.



Note: These two frames are from a scan of last year's film, made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180 mm combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment