Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Man + Doorway, La Habana, Cuba, 2008


Man + Doorway, La Habana, Cuba, 2008

The next couple of weeks will be spent scanning the negatives from last year in order to print albums for the families. Hopefully the task will be finished by the end of this month, giving me time enough to print them next month.

Scanning means a lot of time thinking, and so I started looking at some of my earlier images from the island. Here is a portrait from one of my favorite neighborhoods in La Habana. My photography until that moment consisted of disconnected portraits. The people of this neighborhood really took me in and allowed me to make portraits of their entire families. To this day we visit and, although the photography is minimal, the feeling is sublime.

When my Cuban friends learned about my walks through this area, they were a little concerned. They told me that this was a tough neighborhood, and that my eyes better keep track of my equipment during my walks. The reality has been however that trust has never been an issue, and there has never been a reason for me to be concerned. Walking around there feels as natural as it does here in my own neighborhood, but much warmer with the social interactions actually.

The expression on this man's face says it all, and I look forward to visiting the families in less than two months.


Note: This image was made with a Contax G2/45 mm combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment