Saturday, January 2, 2016

Young Student + Shawl, Nirvanavan Foundation, Rajasthan, India, 2015


This young student came out of nowhere photographically. What I mean is that we had been photographing this school and village for a few years, yet my memory seems to fail me regarding her earlier images. Somehow only this year and last year come to mind, and as such her presence earlier this year took me by pleasant surprise. 

This was her year, as she showed me what it means to be ready to express oneself. It's as if she took the lens as her bottle, into which she could place her messages. She looked through the lens, through me and beyond… as she spoke her mind.

She lives across the path from the school, and seems to appear immediately after our arrival. There are few as excited as her to be photographed, or just to be with us. She is divine, and gives me more than enough impetus to continue with this work, to find support for her school year after year.

Earlier this year we were allowed into her home to make her portrait. If only we could have read her mind as this was happening, we would have been even more enlightened by her. She was quieter, yet more intense. Her eyes focused even more so as we made her portrait in front of her uncle especially… as he was the only man from the family in the house at that time.

In eight weeks I will see her again, and hope that she will once again allow us to make her portrait.


Note: This image was made with a Sony RX100M2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment