Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Peerless One at the Beach, Santa Maria del Mar, Cuba, Summer of 2013


In two weeks the film from Cuba will be ready to be collected from DC. Until then, I can only imagine the possibilities through the digital copies. For all of the sessions, a digital camera was mounted adjacent to the analog system. With this setup it was possible to duplicate the film image and see the results immediately. In addition, we were able to print albums for the families and let them see the fruits of their hard work.

Those of you familiar with my work know my thoughts regarding the young dancer in this image. She is both peerless and flawless, and accounted for more images than the next three on the island. Whatever she does she does exceptionally. She is ready for us before we arrive, as early as 6:00 in the morning. The only light on in the entire apartment building will be hers in the morning, and we normally see her from a distance peering through the curtains as she hears our car's diesel engine approaching.

She is aware of my work in India, and sends her love through her gesture below. As she enters her teenage years, I marvel at her curiosity. She is changing rapidly, yet her interest in the photography is absolute. As my friend Alejandro likes to tell it: She was born for it, as she was born for dance.

Just when I think that she needs to have some rest from the work and give her a day or so, it becomes abundantly clear to me that all she wants to do is to ride with us, to go into the countryside, to go to the beach and to just create!

When we do pick her up, this young girl less than a third of my age rides along with us without a chaperon. What a trio we are: a ballerina, a farmer and a dentist in a 1954 Chevrolet!

Any categories disappear when we are together, and it just feels as natural as any arrangement I have ever experienced. She is the reason I return to the island, and will be for the foreseeable future.

www.halimina.org

Note: This image was made with a Sony RX100M2, edited for size and contrast only.

No comments:

Post a Comment