Friday, June 14, 2013

Man, Mosque, Muş, Turkey, May 22, 2013

In this conservative part of Turkey I would have thought entering a mosque with a camera would be looked down upon. It turned out on several occasions that all were open to the idea and allowed themselves to be photographed while in the process of their readings. For the image above the camera was placed onto the ground for the long exposure.

One never knows the reactions of people to the work, and I was pleasantly surprised to have been allowed to document this man. Both film and digital media were used, and he went on with his reading without pause. In the less conservative regions to the west I was advised to refrain from doing so, and this gave me further appreciation for my time in the east. People are at times quick to categorize a region, and the image above has taught me much about this.

One never knows unless they ask it seems. This was my first image in Turkey, and happened to be in the part of the country that made my photography feel most at home. People were most receptive to the work, and the camera in itself was a source of fascination. Of course the image is commonplace all over Turkey, but the presence of an outsider in this part of Turkey was less so. As a result the emotions garnered were true and genuine, and the relationships formed most beautiful.

This I have learned is the reward of following the path less travelled.

halim.ina@gmail.com
Halim Ina Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment