Thursday, June 22, 2017

Asian Couple + Mesa Arch, Utah, 2016


Last year what was perhaps a disappointment turned into a blessing. On the eve of my trip to Lebanon work called me to Utah, and in turn gave me a chance to visit the national parks in that beautiful state.

Since it was a bit cold, most of my time in the parks allowed me to photograph without tourists in the scenes. These were some of the most serene moments in my life, allowing me to reflect upon my time away from home as well as the nature of my photography.

Now and then however tourists were hard to avoid, especially in the more popular spaces. This frame is one such example, as Mesa Arch is world famous. Towards the end of my session a group of tourists walked past me and to the arch. They walked around and made some photographs of each other, while taking in the incredible beauty around them.

It was at this moment when the thought came to me: why not photograph the scenes as they are?

So the shutter began to click, and the attached image is the result. The couple clothing reminded me of my own parents, and especially of my father's photographs of my mother in New York City a half century earlier.

As the tourists made their way past me once again, the men stopped to admire the film camera on the tripod. They were astonished to see the camera, and especially the lens mounted. Little did they know that their portrait was made a few minutes before... but my intuition tells me that they would be more than pleased. At least I hope so!


Website
Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/250 mm Superachromat lens onto Ilford Delta 100 film.

No comments:

Post a Comment