Monday, December 26, 2016

Camille + Dry Lake Bed, El Mirage, California, 2016


My time in California a few months ago was made that much sweeter thanks to this young woman, and her friend Taylor. It was only a month after my return from Cuba, and usually rest is on my mind. It so happened that work took me out west and gave me the perfect opportunity to reach out to dancers interested in a collaboration.

A casting call was placed and contact was immediately made with Cami. She was beyond professional from day one, and went out of her way to share images of the various clothing available for our collaboration. She accepted the location without question, even though our session would take up the large portion of her already busy schedule.

She even invited one of her close friends along for the ride, and offered kindly to include Taylor in our work... an offer I took up with joy as the session progressed. We chose a few places on the dry lake bed in order to vary the backgrounds, and continued as the sun went down.

It was at this time that Ilford Delta 400 ISO film was placed into the camera, and this image was made. In the past I would have refrained from using anything faster than 100 ISO, but now I have come to embrace the grain associated with the higher speed films, and even print the negatives larger in order to accentuate this exquisite characteristic. In this digital age, grain has become to me a reminder of the qualities of film... of how light is captured through silver halides.

So thanks to Cami and her patience, we have this image and the glorious grain that comes with it!



Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180 mm combination onto Ilford Delta 400 ISO film

No comments:

Post a Comment