Sunday, November 27, 2016

Sisters + Courtyard of School, Rajasthan, India, 2015


When my work began in this region a decade ago, it did so with little context. Regardless of the number of stories told to me by my Indian friends or those traveling before me, nothing could have prepared me for what was to come. While the general presentation was somewhat overwhelming, the learning was accomplished through the nuances. 

Then one day we were visiting this very spot thanks to the graces of Humana India when one of people from the foundation asked me to stop. It seemed that one of the girls wanted to tell us something. All gathered around us while this young student shared a snapshot of her life with us.

Paraphrased from my memory 10 years later, here is what she shared with us: "Before this school, I never cared about washing my hands, taking care of my skin and brushing my hair. Before this school I walked around this village without sandals, and never thought much about what will come. Since this school began, I think about my future, wash my hands and take care of myself every day. This is what this school means to me."

To see her standing here next to her younger sister makes me very proud of the work Humana India did in this village for so many years. She is an impressive, young woman now and has begun her own family. My hope is that her voice will be heard, and that her daughters in the near future will attend schools just as she was able to do.



Note: This image was made with a Sony RX100M2.

No comments:

Post a Comment