Friday, October 2, 2015

Young Student + Temple, Nirvanavan Foundation, Rajasthan, India, 2015


Earlier this year I visited our three schools in Rajasthan, India. This was their second year running, and the girls were beyond excited to see me. They had always known me as the photographer, but now were aware of our efforts on this side of the ocean to support their schools. To be treated like a prince is deeply humbling for me, but embraced fully coming from these beautiful girls. They are at the center of my world, along with their sisters from Africa and the Americas.

It was a delight to be provided a chair during my visits, to be brought sweets on a plate and the most incredible tea in the world, while being fanned by the teacher and her sister. Normally this would make me feel very uneasy, others paying such attention to me. However the source of their attention was pure love and affection, and as such every single gesture was enjoyed fully.

This young girl is the youngest of five, and endures along with her sisters without their mother who had passed away sometime ago. Her older sisters had been photographed by me, and now she attends the same school provided by the foundation in her village… now maintained beautifully by Nirvana Bodhisattva and his wonderful foundation.

She stands for her portrait in front of the local temple, one of five in this very location, adjacent to her classroom. She is incredibly smart, and recites lessons without looking at the posters on the walls. During my entire time this past year in India, this was her only outfit… as she perhaps chose her favorite with which she attended school.

In less than four weeks a benefit will be held at a friend's gallery in NYC in collaboration with Nirvanavan Foundation. We hope to raise awareness and funding once again, and will continue to work on her behalf.

www.halimina.org

Note: This image was made with a Sony RX100M2.

No comments:

Post a Comment