Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Neighbor + Rooftop, Santa Maria del Mar, Cuba, Summer of 2014


One evening in my friend's apartment this young girl happened to be there, playing games with my friend's daughter. She paused for a second, then continued to play. My friend noticed my reaction and knew, right there and then, that we'd have to include her in our photography.

So we asked her mother and she immediately granted us permission to do so. We arranged an afternoon for the girls on the rooftop of my friend's building. We had perfect access to the sun, and an apartment in which the girls could change. My friend's wife also volunteered to do their hair, and she was perfectly suited to the task. She loved the girls and took immense pleasure in playing with their hair.

Although I have written it many times, the truth is that these girls impress me deeply with their presence in front of a lens. They produce the most incredible expressions and rival the best models in my work… who by the way express interest to be included in my work because of these very girls. As models, they realize the difficulty in attaining such comfort levels and know the rarity of such honesty in portraiture.

These girls after all are being photographed without props, designer clothes and a team of stylists. They are being placed in front of a camera without preparation. Yet they are completely in charge, as I do nothing more than make sure the settings on the camera are correct. In less than four weeks I will see her and her family, and look forward to possibly taking them to the beach for a session!


Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180 mm combination, with natural light only.

No comments:

Post a Comment