Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Young Student + School for Girls, Humana People to People India, Rajasthan, India, March of 2015


I live with my parents, three sisters and three brothers in a small Rajasthani village. My father is a farmer and mother, a home-maker. The shrinking money and increasing expenditure led to my father finding solace in alcohol. The situation further worsened when his angst started taking shape of physical and verbal abuse in the family.

Three of my sisters, who are now married, had attended the Girls Education Center run by Humana around 2007. However, none of my parents or brothers have attended any school. As I grew up, I started accompanying my brother, who is a herder. One day, as the teacher came to our house, she spoke to my mother about enrolling me in the center. On further conversation, my mother came to know that it is the old center, which has started again. She also told her about other girls attending the school, which made my mother happy and willing to send me there, but my father did not agree.

The teacher's repeated efforts to connect with my mother and gradually with my father, when he was in proper senses, culminated into my joining the center in December 2013. I continued accompanying my brother for work because of the convenient school time, starting at 12:00 noon. I am happy with my new life as it has come with a lot of learning and new experiences. I am learning the English alphabet and can read small words in Hindi.


On speaking to her teacher, she shared that she is a sincere girl, who has started with her education at the center. She has been at the school for more than a year and has been steady with her learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment