Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Boy + Home, Dadhikar, Rajasthan, India, November of 2013


This young boy lives under the shadow of a tourist destination, where people from far away stay in luxurious rooms for well over $140 per night. This in a state where the average daily wage is less than $2 according to The Hindu. While tourists bathe in shiny bathtubs and enjoy their evenings under exquisite lighting, his family has never experienced tap water nor electricity in their humble home.

On this morning my dear friend Gaurab and I walked to the village from Advaita Garden with our cameras. We walked slowly and made our way to this serene courtyard, just past the entrance to the fort. A few children happened to be outside, and thanks to translation by Gaurab, they agreed to be photographed in front of their home. We made environmental portraits and then closer headshots with the sky as the backdrop.

The children were so curious, and kind. They allowed us to photograph them in peace, giving each other the time needed in front of the camera.

To date I have visited this specific area dozens of times, and have never had an inkling to visit the fort. For me this boy's home and his community are the true treasures of this region, for they live their lives without pretense. They have always welcomed me with open arms, never judged me nor my work and have always demonstrated true understanding of my intentions.

I am grateful to Nirvana and Gaurab for giving me the opportunity to have photographed this young boy during my last visit. I look forward even more so to next month's visit, and to yet another set of images from under the shadow of the fort.

Website
Tumblr
Twitter

Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/50 mm FLE combination onto Fuji Neopan Acros 100 ISO film.

No comments:

Post a Comment