Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Young Man + Rooftop, La Habana, Cuba, Summer of 2014


Every once in a while the face of a man really gets to me, and his face was no exception. A few times on my way up the stairs to visit two of the families, he was sitting in his apartment watching television. For some reason it was difficult to approach him for photography, the reason being me rather than anyone else.

Then one day as we were photographing the girls on the rooftop, I nonchalantly mentioned photographing this young man to one of the girls' mothers. She responded with a smile and sent one of the boys to go ask for us. The boy came up with a positive answer, and shortly after this incredible man appeared… three years after my eyes first spotted him.

He then stepped in front of the lens, and taught the young girls standing by a lesson. One of the young girls was a modeling student at my friend's school, but had nothing on his talent. I said almost nothing to him, except the number of images on a roll. When ready, he moved from one expression to another without input from anyone. He was a natural, so powerful!

I look forward to handing him these images, and many more this summer.

www.halimina.org

Note: These frames were exposed with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180 mm combination onto Fuji Neopan Acros 100 ISO film, with natural light only.

No comments:

Post a Comment