Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Dancer + Wind, Santa Maria del Mar, Cuba, Summer of 2013


A few minutes ago my phone rang with an 'unknown' number, and a message was left for me to hear. One would be hard pressed to conceive of a sweeter gift on this Christmas Eve!

The voice was that of her mother, wishing me and my family 'Feliz Navidad' all the way from Cuba. Almost four months have passed since my time with them this summer, and the feelings came rushing back immediately upon hearing the message.

I hurried and dialed their number, and guess who answered?

Yes, the exquisite spirit in this image!

We spoke for around 15 minutes, the entire time with me imagining her standing at the table with the phone next to her ear.

She told me about the other girls from the ballet school, classmates as well as instructors… how all of them sent their greetings and love my way through her, and how they were also waiting for next summer to arrive as well.

She then told me that when we see each other next summer, she will be speaking English with me, that she was well on her way with her lessons. I then asked her, which lesson are you studying right now? She paused and, with a chuckle, told me that she was on lesson 10.

We talked for a few minutes as I expressed my admiration and love for her. As she listened, I once again imagined her next to that table with the same smile my eyes witnessed as the same words were expressed to her the very night we bid each other farewell four months ago.

Who would have ever imagined that a spontaneous portrait over six years ago would have led to such a moment tonight? This is what happens when we put ourselves out there with honest intent, and such is the reward.

www.halimina.org

Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180mm combination onto Fuji Neopan Acros 100 ISO film.

No comments:

Post a Comment