Sunday, June 5, 2022

Nica + Forest, Miramar, Nicaragua, 2019


My visit to Nicaragua came as my 50th year approached, the same age my father had when we left in the aftermath of the 1973 earthquake. The feeling of walking the same streets as my parents cannot be described. The embrace by the rural communities as we travelled took me by surprise and made me realize that I was home after so long. 

Such was this morning session near Miramar. The people of this neighborhood embraced us immediately, such as this young and her family. Their lives are extremely hard, as they endure an existence without running water, access to healthcare, proper electricity, sanitation... while living in homes with dirt floors and open windows. These were the people that I wanted to meet, these are the lives that I needed to document. 


No comments:

Post a Comment