Monday, June 13, 2016

The One with Clear Eyes, La Habana, Cuba, 2015


Even 10 years later her eyes pierce right through me. She is as intense now as she was when we first met in 2005 on the waterfront of the capital. She was an androgynous figure back then, with the clearest of eyes. My photography on the island truly began with her, and continues to this day with her.

She now has two beautiful children of her own, and does her best to help her mother at home. She inspires me every single time I see her, and knows that she does the same for countless people who have viewed her first portrait with me.

Every time we are on the island she calls me, and wonders where I am. She checks on me as a mother checks on a child, and makes sure that we see each other at least once a week. When we do visit she makes us fresh juice, and sits with us as we talk. She is the most relaxed person on the island, but also has deep passions.

She was only 12 years old when we first made her photograph, yet allowed me to make her portrait every year since other than my absence in 2009. She has remained true to me, and knows that I will always be there for her…. always.


Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180 mm combination onto Kodak TMY film, scanned just tonight for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment