Monday, August 31, 2009

Fisherman, Malecon, Havana, Cuba, 2008

So here I am, on the Malecon walking around like yet another tourist with a camera.

The clouds have rolled in, the winds have picked up. It's the end of the day, without my friend guiding me since one week ago, having decided mutually to end our working relationship of four or so years.

So here I am without a translator walking around with a camera. The idea is to gain eye contact with a subject and then gauge their interest. Just then a man fishing on a wall gives me a smile. I decide to sit down next to him and begin a conversation. He has caught nothing today and has decided to head back home early, the waves are a bit harsh.

I ask him for his portrait and he allows me. His fishing equipment is in his hands, as can be seen in the portrait. Today he lacks anything to place on the hook. We talk for about twenty minutes and then go our separate ways. This is a most gentle and serene man.


No comments:

Post a Comment