Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Student + Bench + Grass, Girls Bridge School, Humana People to People India, Rajasthan, India, 2006


She sits on a bench familiar to some of you and had her portrait made almost seven years ago. The sun had set by the time we clicked the shutter, but her skin retained enough light for the exposure. I look forward to visiting her village and confirm that most of the girls are now attending a government school nearby. Humana People to People India has made quite a difference in this young girl's life.

I remember arriving late one afternoon to see the sun setting behind the hillside next to the village. We thought that we had arrived in plenty of time but miscalculated due to the location of the village and the distance needed to arrive. Although disappointed I was easily convinced by the volunteers of the foundation to do something.

So we did, and moved a bench to the brightest spot of the roof with the help of the women. Everyone was laughing at the commotion being made for the sake of photography. The camera was set up higher than the young girls and they sat down one at a time for their portrait. This was the first time that they had laid eyes on me or my methods, and it was all quite foreign to them.

Nonetheless they sat with a quiet dignity that touches me to this day. 

I do hope that they have since attended the formal, educational system and that their younger sisters now have access to education like never before. While we will be collaborating elsewhere Humana People to People India will arrange my visit to this village and all those from my past as well. I am honored with this noble act and look to make wonderful images for the HPPI team.

halim.ina@gmail.com
Halim Ina Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment