Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Hands of Divinity, Banganga, Rajasthan, India, December 3, 2013




When someone wonders about my attraction to this project, it is at times difficult to put into words such experiences. This short scene from my last week in Rajasthan last year perhaps speaks most clearly to those outside of the work. In this piece a young student from the Humana People to People India school has generously offered to place Mehndi onto my hand and arm, and offered to do so a few days before my departure so that my friends and family can see her art for themselves. She spent nearly thirty minutes creating, and for every single one of those minutes I was in the presence of divinity, hardly able to contain myself. When asked to sign her name to my arm, the humility and joy in her voice is unmatched… and one can hear her name spoken by the younger ones watching!