Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Artisans, Lower Omo Valley, Ethiopia, February 9, 2010



During my time in Ethiopia I was fortunate enough to have been in the presence of these incredible artisans. Their work and the manner with which they produced it was quite beautiful and serene. They agreed to show us their methods and made two simple pieces for the sake of time, pieces that paled in comparison to the work shown to me later.

While most of my work during this time was devoted to photography, we did have a few occasions when moving images were available. During this day we were allowed to walk through a village within a forest and select scenes to record. Everyone invited us in without question and went along with their work regardless of the camera pointed in their direction.

These two young women were perfect examples, even when their mother stopped by to talk with them. They were perfectly natural in front of the lens and allowed me to record their activities for well over fifteen minutes. After our session they walked me to their homes and showed off various pieces that were for sale, finished beautifully in an array of colors and patterns. My only regret was in neglecting to purchase a piece, but it was clear to me that the next ten days or so would have taken a toll without mentioning the trip back to the States.

The children gathered to the side of the women were incredible. While they were in awe of the camera, they were also quite comfortable in front of it. They made very little noise and were the most perfect audience. I couldn't resist moving the lens in their direction a few times, and when I did I was rewarded consistently. Looking through this video almost three years later to the week makes me want to go back even more so.

halim.ina@gmail.com
Halim Ina Photography